Free Legal Help for Residents of Cook County
- Are you dealing with an eviction or unresolved debt issue?
- Are you behind on your mortgage or property tax payments?
- Do you live in Cook County?
You are not in this alone. You may be eligible for FREE legal help.
New rental assistance programs from the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois will be launching soon. Check Emergency Covid-19 Rental Assistance Programs frequently for the latest information on rental assisatnce programs in Illinois.
Evictions, foreclosures, and unresolved debt issues can have a long-lasting, negative impact on your future. Call the Early Resolution Program (ERP) to speak with a lawyer and get connected to other resources. This program is available to all residents of Cook County free of charge. You do not need to have a case in court to get help.
Call 855-956-5763 to get help today.
You Can Use the Program If
- You are a renter and your landlord is trying to evict you;
- You are a landlord who is not represented by a lawyer;
- You are a homeowner who has fallen behind on your mortgage payments or property taxes;
- You were sued by someone who wants to collect an unpaid debt (for example a credit card company trying to collect unpaid charges); OR
- You need to sue someone who owes you money and do not have a lawyer.
The Early Resolution Program (ERP) includes free legal aid, mediation services, and connections to other resources including rental assistance. Mediation is a chance for a landlord and tenant, or debtor and creditor, to resolve issues with the help of a knowledgeable and neutral person.
Lawyers and other legal professionals can volunteer with ERP program partners to provide brief services to community members struggling with housing and debt problems. Learn more about the many ways to get involved.
The Early Resolution Program is being provided through Cook County Legal Aid for Housing and Debt (CCLAHD), a county-wide initiative to help resolve eviction, foreclosure, debt, and tax deed issues.